This policy is adopted by the Board of Education of South Sanpete School District pursuant to UCA 53A-11-901 through 907. It is the intent of the Board to provide every student in the district with the opportunity to learn in an environment which is safe, conducive to the learning process, and free from unnecessary disruption. Every student is expected to follow rules of conduct, and to show respect for others and to obey persons in authority at the schools.
A. The Board hereby delegates its authority to expel/suspend students to principals and vice principals in each school in the District for up to ten days.
B. A copy of this policy shall be posted in each school and discussed with each student.
C. Conduct Resulting in Suspension/Expulsion: A student may be suspended/expelled from school for participation in any of the following prohibited conduct when it occurs in a school building, in or on school property, in conjunction with any school sponsored activity, or when it occurs in the presence of, or is directed at or against another student or a district employee:
1. Continued disobedience or open and persistent defiance of proper authority;
2. Destruction, injury, or defacing of school property;
3. Behavior, or threatened behavior, which poses an immediate and significant threat to the welfare, safety or morals of other students, or school personnel or to the operation of the school;
4. Behavior which unreasonably disrupts or interferes with the educational process for other students.
5. Sells, gives, delivers, transfers, possesses, controls, or distributes alcoholic beverages or tobacco products within 1000 feet of school property or any school sponsored event;
6. Under the influence of any alcoholic beverage or controlled substance within 1000 feet of any school property or school sponsored event.
D. Mandatory Expulsion/Suspension: Students must be suspended/expelled from school for participation in any of the following prohibited conduct when it occurs in a school building, in or on school property, or within 1000 feet of school property or within 1000 feet and in conjunction with any school sponsored activity, or when it occurs in the presence of or is directed at or against another student or a district employee.
GUNNISON VALLEY MIDDLE SCHOOL
Under Utah state law, students may be expelled or suspended for the following:
*Foul, profane, vulgar, or abusive language
*Destruction of school property
*Immediate significant threat to welfare, safety, or morals to students, school
personnel, or to operation of school
*Possession, control, or use of an alcoholic beverage
*Offenses against student or staff that occur off school premises.
The following incidents require suspension or expulsion:
*Drug, weapon, or other serious offenses occurring at school activities
*Misdemeanor or felony class force or threatened force Weapon offenses require expulsion for a full calendar year unless modified by the district superintendent on a case by case basis.